Saturday, April 15, 2017

Week 4 in the MTC

 ​​​​Hola Hola Hola!

Como la va? Hoy es un buen día! 
I'm still in need dire need of a bang trim, wearing a lot of yellow, and trying to teach a lot about Jesus....but what's new? Actually a LOT! :) This past week was real busy & zoomed by. 

Guess what?! It SNOWED in Utah last Saturday evening! It was a dream come for for Hermana Solomon. She hadn't ever expierenced snow before! So we went outside in our pajamas and danced in the snow. One of the most special moments EVER. The next day Elder Horrocks taught her how to make a snow ball. We even found a snowman at the temple! 

Top News: Last Sunday Hermana Solmon y I were called to serve as the Sister Training Leaders of our Zone! 
This means that we conduct weekly interviews with the sisters in our Zone, assign relief society talks on Sunday, carry a cell phone, try to love + serve the sisters a little bit more.

Funny story #1: the cellphone that Hermana Solomon and I have can not make any phone calls. There is a password so the only people who can call it is the front office of the MTC + our Zone president. 
Well one day Hermana Solomon and I were walking back to our doors and she pulls out the phone and answers it saying: "Hey mom!!!! How is it going?" "Yeah I was able to figure out the password but I can't talk for long""I'm so happy you called"
 I then asked her if I could speak to her mom too so she passed me the phone and no one was there!!!
Hahaha that stinker! There was no one else was on the other line! Haha haha. It was so funny. Now that im typing this all out, I realize that maybe it was a have to be there moment? But now it's her favorite thing....to pretend to talk to people on the phone. Silly stuff.

Funny story #2: One of the Elders in my district was relieved a Dear John letter this week. (poor elder) So his companion tried to revive him with some clothing irons. I will attach pictures. The pictures are pure gold. Enjoy! :)

Last Sunday I was also able to meet con Elder Valeri Cordón! He spoke at general confrence! Every Sunday and Tuesday evening here at the MTC there are devotionals. Elder Cordón spoke all about missionary work and then he wanted to meet with the missionaries that will be serving in Costa Rica after the devotional. My companion, Hermana Solomon, is serving there so I got to go too!! There was about 10 people in the little meeting afterwards and we all were able to ask him mission questions. One of my favorite things that he said is: You HAVE to learn to look at people the way that God looks at people.

Can I just tell you a little bit about one of my favorite people that I've met at the MTC? 
She is one of my investigator friends at the MTC. Her name is Maribel. She is just pure SUNSHINE + JOY! Maribel is 50 years old, from Mexico, loves her family + cooking and is always looking on the bright side.
Around last week her husband was at work and he chopped his thumb off. Ouch! I know! He is a carpenter. This has been a BIG trial in her life because all of her children still live at home (that is reaaaally normal in her culture) and her husband is the sole provider. This has caused much stress on Maribel but right after she told Hermana Solomon y I about it she said "but I am just so lucky that it wasn't all of his fingers or even his hand!!" 
Ah Hermana Solomon and I loved it. I know that life can be so hard but to focus on the bright side when the rain is pouring it is so important. 

Okay, now can I tell you about how Hermana Solomon & I were ROASTED this past Friday in a lesson with a brand new investigator? 
Cool. Here we go:
Hely is a 64 year old investigator, SUPER Catholic, knows her Bible like the back of her hand and just will tell everything to you straight, in uber FAST spanish. There is no sugar coating with Hely. 
So Hermana Solomon and I went into the lesson not knowing ANY of this about her but we felt like we should share a simple message of Jesus Christ and his life....with it being Easter and all....ha....
We first knocked on the door and it took about 5 minutes just to convince her to let us in to share a message with her about Jesus. 

When she let us in we sat down and she started showing us pictures of the Catholic Church that she goes attends & explainedall of the basic beliefs of the Catholic Church. After that happened, she pulled out her giant Bible to back up all of her beliefs. She then asked us to do the same with our religion......which Hermana Solomon and I had a rough time explaining in Spanish. So Hely looked at us and told us that we need to go & learn about what we are talking about so then come back to her with the right facts. #dying 
After that she asked us to hurry and share the message that we prepared for her. So we shared the new Easter video that the church just released. She really liked it! 
But then Hermana Worley (that's me) being my cheesy self & all wanted to leave her a hot pink chocolate egg + a picture of Christ to help her remember the true meaning of this time of year.
And she freaked out! When she saw me pull out a hot pink chocolate egg her face turned RED. Ah.

Here's a little bit how the conversation went:
Hely: "Why would you ruin the meaning of Easter with bringing an egg?"
Hermana Worley: "It's not about the egg, it's about what the egg symbolizes. Birth! New life! New beginings! Christ lives & he loves you!"
Hely: "If it's not about the egg, why would you bring me one?"
Hermana Worley: "Lo siento, Hely"
*I then slowly put the hot pink egg back into my bright yellow bag*

I learned SO much from this experience. This expiernce brought me closer to Christ. I learned that I don't mind being "roasted" when I'm being roasted while trying to share a message about Jesus. Because Jesus was "roasted", mocked, teased, betrayed, suffered and put to death for you and I! He sacrafice for us was so huge. I learned that hot pink easter eggs aren't always the best idea. I do love Hely, very much! I appreciate when people have opposing viewpoints than I do because it broadens my perspective.

I am extra thankful for our Savior, Jesucristo, this week. 
HE LIVES! Because He lives I am given new beginings each day!
Because He lives I am able to respresent His name for 17 more months
Because He lives I find true JOY + LOVE
Because He lives I have a best friend.
What do the Saviors name, life, and sacrafice mean to you?
What will you do to remember that He Lives? 

My favorite scripture about his name is: 
Isaiah 9:6:
 "For unto us a child is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty Gog, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace."

I hope that you can watch this video when you get a moment:

Tender mercies:
-bumble bee socks (thanks momma)
-dirty diet coke
-snowmen
-the book of mormon
-cookies and cream milk! So yum!

As Hermana Solomon would say "I love yousssss" :)

Te quierdo,
Hermana Worley​​​









No comments:

Post a Comment